Regarding auto insurance coverage in California, you are legally bound to carry minimum state-regulated liability coverage. Beyond the minimum coverage, you may buy other available coverages based on your needs and budget. This blog will discuss important auto insurance-specific information that you, must know as a California driver. Besides helping you get the best auto coverage, the blog discusses ways to handle several insurance-related issues you may face after an accident.
Minimum Mandatory Auto Insurance Coverage Needed by California Drivers
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, State of California, as per California Insurance Code 11580.1b and Vehicle Code 16056 VC, the minimum requirements are:
- $ 15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $ 30,000for injury/death to more than one person
- $ 5,000 for damage to property
Provisions Included in All Auto Insurance Policies in California
The provisions that are included in the California-based auto insurance policies are:
- Minimum auto liability insurance coverage according to 16056 VC
- Description of the vehicle/vehicles that are being covered
- Any owned or leased vehicle is insured for the person named in the policy and other drivers using the said vehicle.
All excluded drivers must be specified in the policy.
Common Exclusions in Auto Insurance Coverage in California
There are a few exclusions in California auto insurance policies, and they include:
- Liability coverage for deliberate third-party injury or property damage
- Workers’ compensation-related claims that fall under the purview of an employer-employee
- Vehicles and individuals excluded explicitly in your auto insurance policy
Added Liability Insurance Coverages for Enhanced Safety Offered to California Drivers
For better financial security, personal injury lawyers recommend the purchase of certain coverages that add to your liability protection, such as:
Instead of the basic coverage for bodily harm and property damage, you must select the maximum coverage limit based on your affordability.
It covers the excess amount if the claim amount exceeds your liability coverage limit.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
It covers the costs when the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured.
Medical Payments Coverage
It protects your medical bills and supplements your health insurance coverage.
Types of Auto Insurance-Related Issues That You May Face
You may face several issues related to your auto insurance reimbursement. Some common problems are:
- Whether the vehicle or driver is covered
- Coverage limits for property damage and injuries
- Medical expenses reimbursement
- Repair costs reimbursement
- Access to payment from other policies
Why Must You Hire an Attorney for Accident-Related Insurance Compensation?
The adjuster sent by your insurance provider after assessing the situation may try to settle your claim with an Inadequate amount. In such a scenario, hiring a personal injury attorney can be your best option. They have expertise in the complexities of insurance law and the skill to negotiate with your insurers and get them to agree to a settlement that safeguards your financial interests. Insurance compensation can be tricky. Getting legal counsel helps you to get the best compensation.
Stay Protected with Falsken Insurance!
If you are a California resident looking for further details on auto insurance coverage, contact us today. At Falsken & Associates Insurance Agency, our team will happily answer your questions and ensure you are comprehensively covered.